The master Franco Miozzo
Artist Franco Miozzo, Versiliese by adoption, was born in Ponte di Brenta, Padua, on 20 September 1909. He has a noble mother, Amabile dei Bertoldo. The father Placido, builder, performed important construction work also in Versilia, where he was called to reclaim the marshland of the hospital Pietro Lucchesi in Pietrasanta. Among his work are the Hotel Eden Park, the hotel Coluccini, the Tonfano bridge, and numerous beach resorts in Marina di Pietrasanta.
Franco Miozzo therefore lives in Pietrasanta since 1917, a refugee of the First World War (1915-1918) together with the family of Cesare Battisti who was their guest. The coming of Franco Miozzo in Pietrasanta was the work of the Master Talini, then his teacher in grade II and III in St. Augustine elementary school.
Franco attended the then Royal Academy of Art "Stagio Stagi" up to diploma and from 1930 to 1941 he was in Rome where he followed the major artists of the time working in the Vatican and took a course of three years at the Accademia of France on the Pincian hill. "It is the period of the Roman school that much has affected his training and are also the years of meetings with Arturo Martini, Viani, Marinetti, Dazzi, Carrà, Sironi, Fazzini, Capogrossi, Viani, Giulio di Canale, Afro, Carena and Cagli. In 1938 he participated in the international sport exhibition of San Remo, winning the first prize with a large marble relief entitled "Sprinter", which was later exhibited. In 1940 Franco is called again to arms on the Balkan-Croatian front where he stood for 4 years continuing to perform works of painting made on and of poor materials (he used shoe polish to realize real masterpieces on the tragedy of man and the atrocities that war had caused).
In the postwar period, after being awarded the Military Cross for first and second degree, he returned in Versilia and resumed his artistic career participating in several exhibitions, such as the Pisa International in 1947 and the Forte dei Marmi International in 1948, the Carrara International Sculpture and in 1957 and 1960, he was guest of honour at the International Sculpture in Padova. In 1959 he participated in the exhibition of "Tre Venezie" while in 1961 and in 1966 was invited to the international exhibition of Fiorino in Firenze.
He is awarded the prestigious title of “Accademico” by the Accademia dei Lincei, the highest cultural and scientific institution in Italy, and by the Pontifical Academy of 500 for artistic merit.
Since 1952 he has been teaching sculpture at the School of Art "Stagio Stagi" of Pietrasanta, continuing to work in his studio in Pietrasanta in an increasingly international environment, embracing informal sculpture, and coming in contact with sculptors such as Arp, Moore, Lipchitz, Armitage, Zadkine.
He has exhibited in many Italian cities and abroad (New York and Chicago). His "San Martino" is located at the Columbus Museum of Modern New York, where he participated in an exhibition in 1963. His works are, among others, in the collections of the Gallery of Modern Art in Rome, City of Sperlonga, Paper Museum of Pescia.
There are numerous festivals in which Franco participates in the Apuo-Versiliese area, among which: "Artisti della Versilia", Marina di Pietrasanta (1934); "Artisti Versiliesi", Seravezza (1936), Viareggio (1939) and Pietrasanta (1946, '48); "Artisti Toscani", Viareggio (1945); "Esposizione Internazionale", Forte dei Marmi (1948); "Nazionale di Scultura", Carrara (1955); " Mostra interprovinciale di scultura, pittura e bianco e nero ", Palazzo Moroni, Pietrasanta (1956); " Artisti e artigiani in un centro storico ", Pietrasanta (1976); "Il passato e la presenza," Centro Culturale "Luigi Russo", Pietrasanta (1983); Pittori, scultori e grafici della Versilia Storica”, Seravezza (1983); “Il disegno degli scultori”, Centro Culturale “L. Russo”, Pietrasanta (1988; ‘93); “L’età della bellezza/Artisti versiliesi tra le due guerre”, Palazzo Mediceo, Seravezza (1991); “La luce della pietra”, centro storico, Pietrasanta (1994); “La porta dell’anima”, Centro Culturale “L. Russo”, Pietrasanta (1998). Tra le sue mostre personali in zona si segnalano: Marina di Pietrasanta (1932; ‘33; ‘60); Istituto Statale d’Arte “Stagio Stagi”, Pietrasanta (1981); Centro Culturale “L. Russo”, Pietrasanta (1985; 2000); “Omaggio ad Aristide Coluccini e a Franco Miozzo”, Studio Ferdinando, Claudio e Spartaco Palla, Pietrasanta (1991) e Pieve di S. Giovanni e S. Felicita, Valdicastello (1994); Centro di scultura e spiritualità “Frà Benedetto”, Sillico di Pieve Fosciana (1992).
He has made marble sculptures in his studio and at the laboratories Balderi r Tosi, Solferino Barsanti and Pierotti e SCAT, while the bronzes at the Fonderie Bronzarte, Del Chiaro, L’Arte e Tesconi.
In Pietrasanta some of his works are exhibited in public spaces, such as: Public Gardens of Fiumetto and Tonfano; Church of San Francesco; Piazza Matteotti; Council Chamber; Middle School "Padre Eugenio Barsanti "; Banca di Credito Cooperativo della Versilia. His works are also in Camaiore, Seravezza and in the Historical Museum of the Resistance in S. Anna di Stazzema.
He died in Pietrasanta on 11 June 1996, throwing the entire city in a silent grief for the death of one of the most important masters of the Italian 900